variation from the normal standard of acceptable types and concentrations of bowel flora
This space will be devoted to candida albicans overgrowth. For a discussion of other pathogenic bacteria in the intestines, see “intestinal dysbiosis.”Candida albicans is a yeast that is present in the intestines normally in very low concentrations. As an opportunistic microorganism, candida is able to proliferate only if improper intestinal (and, possibly, systemic conditions) allow its growth. Contributing factors include:
• history of antibiotic use: particularly with a history of repeated administration, but can follow a single broad-spectrum course; antibiotics kill not only the disease-causing bacteria, but also the beneficial bacteria in the intestines; candida is no longer limited by high concentrations of normal bacteria flora and is able to proliferate
• history of high sugar intake: sugar directly feeds the candida organisms and promotes their growth
• history of high ingestion of foods from yeast, wheat and corn, many of these ingredients are included in processed pet feeds.
• lowered immune system or poorly nourished patient; these patients will not be as effective in blocking the growth of candida if the conditions develop for its increase; the same factors that can cause candida to proliferate (e.g. high simple sugar intake) are the same factors that will decrease the patient’s immune system.
The incidence of candida overgrowth seems to be rising in our society in parallel with the widespread use of antibiotics for treatment of even minor conditions.
signs and symptoms:
• maldigestion: bad breath, flatulence, irregular stools, foul stool/ foul flatulent odour
• miscellaneous: arthritis, rashes, epilepsy, psychological problems
• fatigue: nervousness, heart conditions
• history of poor diet: processed and canned pet foods
• skin problems: psoriasis/eczema/dermatitis, skin may be red, dry, flaky, dull and appear unhealthy. Pet usually present with itching and licking.
It is recommended you seek medical advise from our animal naturopath for further treatment advice.
• DigestaVite Plus (Pre Biotic)
• Omega 3, 6 & 9 Oil
• High Potency Vitamin C